Terms & Conditions
- Digital Equity Accelerator People's Choice Award (“the Contest”) is run by the Digital Equity Accelerator, and administered by Aspen Digital, a program of the Aspen Institute.
- The Contest voting platform is administered and managed by LaunchPad6 through an automated vote tallying system and all prizes are earned based on the number of votes received.
- Contest Key Dates:
- Voting start period: 1 October 2023 12pm ET (NYC time zone)
- Voting end period: 15 October 2023 11:59pm ET (NYC time zone)
- Winner announcement: 17 October 2023 during the Accelerating Digital Equity Global Summit
- We may cancel or amend the Contest, Contest Information, or these Terms and Conditions without prior notice. Any changes will be posted either within the Contest Information or these Terms and Conditions. These Terms and Conditions were last updated on 1 October 2023.
- Our decision in all matters to do with the Content will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The Contest is open only to 10 not-for-profit organizations that are part of the 2023 Digital Equity Accelerator cohort (“Entrant”) or (“Contestants”).
- Entrants are participating on behalf of their nonprofit organizations. All entries are submitted by an official representative of the participating organizations, and the person submitting the entry must be authorized to do so on behalf of the organization.
- By participating in this Contest all entrants are bound by these Terms & Conditions.
- Contestants may only submit one 60-second video in order to participate.
- Contestant Video entries must be entirely original to the Contestant, featuring only the Contestant’s voice and not include the voice or other sounds made by third parties/people.
- Entries must be completed in accordance with the entry process set out above. No other method of entry will be accepted. Entries which do not meet these criteria may not be considered.
- The Contestant must keep a digital or hard copy of their video entry. If required, Contestants must supply the original recording of their video entry for use in connection with the Contest, including (but not limited to) for potential broadcast online or transmission by any electronic means.
- All video entries will be subject to moderation. The Aspen Institute has absolute discretion to accept or reject any video entry and to remove any video entry already accepted without giving reasons for the decision. We may in particular refuse to upload any video entry for the following reasons:
- inclusion of defamatory or malicious content;
- inclusion of content in video entries to which someone else owns the copyright or other intellectual property rights, such as music, singing, trademarks, logos, insignia, location signage, sculpture, posters, pictures, photographs or other artwork, music tracks, snippets of copyrighted programmes, or films made by other users, without the requisite authorisations;
- breach of these Terms and Conditions
- By submitting an entry, the Entrant:
- warrants that all information submitted by them is true, current, and complete. Entrant also warrants that they are the copyright owners of their video entries which must be original works and must not infringe the intellectual property rights, privacy, or any other rights of a third party;
- gives the Aspen Institute and it’s agents and partners, a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty free, perpetual, irrevocable license to use and reproduce the entry in any way and agrees that the Aspen Institute may use the entry in any way and across all mediums as it chooses;
- the Contestants indemnify the Competition Parties (defined below) from any claim in respect of their entry;
- to the extent permitted by applicable law, the Contestants unconditionally gives the Aspen Institute their consent to any act or omission that would otherwise infringe on any moral rights they may have in and in relation to their entries, and they undertake that they will not institute, maintain or support any claim or proceeding for infringement of any moral rights you they may have in and/or in relation to their entries.
- None of our, (including their employees and agents) or any other party or organization (including their, employees and agents) involved in the management, promotion, or administration of the Contest, or its entry, or implementation of any prize (or their agents or subsidiaries involved in any way in the Contest or any prize) (together the “Contest Parties”) will accept responsibility or liability for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction, alteration of, or unauthorized access to entries, or entries lost or delayed whether or not arising during operation or transmission as a result of server functions (including but not limited to security functions by software used by us or any third party), virus, bugs, or other causes outside its control.
- Any entries which are incomplete, incorrect, inaudible, incomprehensible, may be void.
- In the event of any fault, mistake, misunderstanding or dispute concerning the correctness or acceptability of the entry, or the operation of any part of the Contest, or the interpretation of these Terms and Conditions, the decision we make shall be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- We will not be liable to reimburse any expenses incurred in entering the Contest.
- We reserve the right to disqualify any Contestants and/or entries which it believes have not been made in compliance with these Terms and Conditions or to disqualify any Contestant found to have tampered with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to threaten, abuse or harass any other person.
Public Voting and Overall Engagement
- The Public (“Voters”) will vote on their favorite Contestant from all eligible entries published on the Contest website. The voting will open using the below factors:
- Voters may vote online once per day (every 24 hours)
- No purchase is necessary to participate in the Contest. All voting is free and open to all people with a valid email address.
- Voters may be subject to your standard internet access charges or data charges if you are using a web browser on your mobile phone.
- The top 3 videos receiving the highest amount of public votes at the end of the voting period will be considered the Contest winners (“People’s Choice Awards Winner”) or (“Winners”), with first place, second place and third place determined by the number of votes each Entry received. In the event of an equal number of votes, all tied Finalists will win the Award. No other criteria will be used to determine winners.
- Each email address may vote for more than one entry, but cannot vote for an entry more than once per day. Entrants may also vote for their own entry.
- The Contest may disallow votes if it has reasonable grounds to suspect that fraudulent votes have been cast (e.g. use of software or other devices designed to make automated votes). We reserve the right to disqualify any entrant who engages in activity which could be designed to unfairly manipulate the outcome of the public vote.
- The three winning entries will be announced on 17 October 2023 during the Accelerating Digital Equity Global Summit and on the Digital Equity Accelerator Facebook, Twitter (X), Instagram and other media platforms. Winner names may be published on Aspen Institute website and other platforms. The winners will be notified by email.
- Winners must be available to take part in interviews and/or any other promotional materials and/or events if requested by the Aspen Institute.
- The prizes comprises: First Place: $4,000.00 USD, Second Place: $2,000.00 USD, Third Place: $1,000.00 USD.
- The prize for the winners will be disbursed as a monetary donation to their organizations. The winners acknowledge that the Prize is non-transferable and is not redeemable for or any other value or consideration.
Data Protection and Publicity
- We may exercise its sole discretion to use all Winners names, images, and their comments relating to the Prize and Contest experience for promotion of the Prize, this Contest, or the Contest Parties, and for future promotional, marketing and publicity purposes in any media worldwide without notice and without any fee being paid.
- The collection and use of personal information obtained through the voting platform will be conducted in accordance with the Aspen Institute’s Data Privacy.
Standard Terms and Liability
- Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall exclude or limit the Contest Parties’ liability for death or personal injury caused by their staff or supplier's negligence or for fraud. Subject to this, none of the Contest Parties can accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any Contestant entering the Contest or as a result of accepting the Prize. None of the Contest Parties are responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any computer on-line systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software failure of any email or entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to Contestant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the Contest.
- None of the Contest Parties promise that the services relating to the Contest will be free from errors or omissions nor that they will be available uninterrupted and in a fully operating condition. These services may be suspended temporarily and without notice in the case of system failure, maintenance or repair or for reasons reasonably beyond the control of any Contest Party. We will not be liable in the event that all or any part of the service relating to the Contest is discontinued, modified or changed in any way.
- The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Terms and Conditions shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Terms and Conditions shall otherwise remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
- These Terms and Conditions and the Contest Information shall be exclusively governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the District of Columbia.